As a leader in the field of addiction medicine, Bayside Marin offers a medication-assisted treatment (MAT) program for adults age 18 and older who are battling addictions to alcohol or opioids.
What Is Medication-Assisted Treatment?
Learn about Medication-Assisted Treatment at Bayside Marin in San Rafael, CA
Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) combines counseling with the use of medications to help individuals who are struggling with opioid or alcohol addiction. The use of medications during MAT can aid in alleviating cravings while reducing the distressing physical and psychological symptoms that occur during the withdrawal process. These medications are administered and closely monitored by medical professionals at Bayside Marin as part of the treatment process.
The counseling component of Medication-Assisted Treatment helps address the psychological causes and effects of addiction. As part of the therapy sessions, clients are able to explore possible underlying reasons for why they began using substances and learn coping skills to help them remain successful in their recovery. By taking part in group therapy, clients are also provided with an outlet where they can share their experiences and provide support to those who may be experiencing similar challenges.
We understand that MAT is not a cookie-cutter approach, and we acknowledge that it’s not appropriate in all cases. Our protocols are individualized to address the unique needs of every client while also evaluating the benefits, risks, and potential barriers to therapy. Our team knows the importance of creating treatment regimens that have the highest potential for long-term recovery, so prior to adding MAT to their treatment, clients will complete a comprehensive assessment to identify whether this protocol is therapeutically warranted. If we determine that Medication-Assisted Treatment is merited, our expert team will tailor the client’s detox and treatment plan to ensure that their time is fully optimized under our care.
Bayside Marin strives to provide cutting-edge best practices for our clients. As such, all protocols are overseen by an ASAM-certified physician who fully utilizes MAT in accordance with the latest research and guidelines.
Benefits of Medication-Assisted Treatment
Understand the benefits of Medication-Assisted Treatment at Bayside Marin in San Rafael, CA
When medically indicated, Medication-Assisted Treatment provides a whole-person approach that is proven to help individuals experience better recovery outcomes.
Some of the benefits of MAT include:
- The lack of withdrawal symptoms can make beginning the recovery process less intimidating.
- Individuals are able to focus on and more fully engage in the therapeutic process because they are not struggling with cravings for alcohol or opioids.
- By reducing their anxiety, MAT allows individuals to more actively participate in group therapy and spend time with others who have faced similar challenges, therefore lessening the feelings of isolation often caused by addiction.
- The risk of relapse is significantly lower.
Get information about the medications used in the MAT program at Bayside Marin in San Rafael, CA
The specific medication that is used as part of a client’s treatment plan is determined on a case-by-case basis after they have completed a comprehensive assessment.
The safety and effectiveness of all the medications used in MAT have been verified by respected organizations like the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the National Institute on Drug Abuse, and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Medications that are commonly used in MAT:
- Methadone is an opioid agonist, meaning that it blocks the effects of opioids. It interacts with the same receptors in the brain as opioids do but does not cause the same euphoric effects as heroin or prescription painkillers.
- Buprenorphine is a partial opioid agonist but is similar to methadone in that it binds to the same receptors and blocks the effects of opioids.
- Naltrexone also blocks the effects of opioids, but it has been approved by the FDA to treat alcohol use disorder as well.
Our Therapeutic Approach
Learn about counseling in the Medication-Assisted Treatment program at Bayside Marin.
Clients who utilize MAT during their treatment will have the opportunity to participate in various types of therapy, including individual, group, family, and experiential therapies. Examples of the topics that may be covered during these sessions include:
- Drug education
- Relapse prevention
- Coping with triggers and cravings
- Releasing negative core beliefs
- Seeking Safety
Our Care Team
Bayside Marin’s staff offers exceptional care by implementing Medication-Assisted Treatment in accordance with the most current research and guidelines.
During your time in the Medication-Assisted Treatment program, you will be supported by a multidisciplinary team that is highly experienced in providing addiction treatment, including:
- Board-certified medical doctors (MDs)
- 24/7 registered nurses (RNs) and licensed vocational nurses (LVNs)
- Nurse practitioners (NPs) and physician assistants (PAs)
- Doctoral and master’s level psychotherapists
- Master’s level clinicians and certified addiction counselors
Get information on the admissions criteria for Medication-Assisted Treatment at Bayside Marin
The Medication-Assisted Treatment program at Bayside Marin serves adults of all genders age 18 and older who have an opioid or alcohol use disorder diagnosis.
We make all admissions decisions on a case-by-case basis. The admissions process begins with an initial screening during which one of our admissions counselors will ask the client questions about the nature and severity of symptoms, their medical history, and the expectations they have about the care they will receive at Bayside Marin. If it is determined that our facility is not the right fit, we will help connect individuals with a provider who can better meet their needs.
If you have any questions about Medication-Assisted Treatment at Bayside Marin, or about any of the other services we offer, please contact us at your convenience.